Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October Horror Challenge Day 4



I finished last night with Mountaintop Motel Massacre and decided to start today with the other film on that DVD, The Initiation, another 80s slasher. This time the result were quite a bit better and I found the movie to be a pretty fun watch and actually have a half decent story as far as slashers are concerned. If you're a big fan of the genre and have never seen it you will probably be happy you did.




Then I wanted something a little different so I popped in my Halloween 2 Blu-Ray for the Terror In The Aisles documentary on it. A 1984 documentary that was released theatrically that stars Donald Pleasance in enacted sequences discussing horror films and why we see them while showing clips of the movies and enacted audience reactions. A lot of people were very happy it was getting released for the first time ever on disc on this Blu-Ray but I found it to be nothing more than a very mildly entertaining time waster. I just don't really see what the point of the whole thing was.




I couldn't wait any longer to check out the recently released Blue Underground Blu-Ray of Torso. The film is preceded by a nice intro from Eli Roth, love him or hate him he knows his stuff and is a true fan of the film. The movie is giallo greatness. The final 20-25 minutes of the movie are about as perfect as giallo film making gets. The rest of the movie is pretty damn good too. The Blu looks great in HD.




I had seen bits and pieces of The Deadly Spawn before but it ended up being far less than I thought, so this first time viewing was newer than I thought it would be. I pretty much knew I was getting into a campy, low budget monster movie and I got exactly what I hoped for. This movie is lots of fun and pays homage to many creature features that came before it. I'm so glad I finally stopped putting off buying it because it is a loaded dvd and an awesome movie.


Today's rundown:
The Initiation - 6.5/10
Terror In The Aisles 5.5/10
Torso - 8.5/10
The Deadly Spawn - 8.5/10

No comments: